CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mom's Never Fail Tacos

Once again I didn't have the clarity of thought to actually take a picture of this meal as I prepared it, but you have all seen tacos I'm sure. However, you may never have tasted my mom's taco meat which is delicious and to all you Weight Watchin' folks out there this totally doable in a healthy fashion!

Ingredients:
1.5 lb of ground beef or turkey(healthy folks I always use ground turkey!)
1/2 a large onion
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp of garlic powder or salt
1/4 cup of salsa
salt to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet brown meat with onions and drain off grease. Place drained meat back in the skillet on medium to low heat and add in tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic and salsa. Let me honest here, I don't know if those portions are the correct amount that my mom's uses I just keep adding chili, cumin, garlic, salt, and salsa 'till it taste like hers! I would say to simmer this on low for about 15- 20 min to let the flavors meld together.
Serve it with tortilla chips/taco shells, cheese, lettuce, tomatos, and a dollope of Daisy, or whatever sour cream you have in your house. I also like to have a side of black beans with this meal for extra fiber.
Make this, it's deliscious!

Here are some time saving tips you can do with this meal.
1. The night before I made this I made mushroom and onion omlets. I chopped a whole onion and used what I needed for the omlets, but saved the rest for my tacos so I didn't have to chop, I just through them in.
2. I chose two recipes to serve this week that called for ground meat. So I bought 3 lbs and browned it all at once. I set aside half for my tacos and half for my enchilaldas that I'll make tomorrow or Thursday!
Muy Bien!

0 comments: